The Local Governing Board
In all schools, the purpose of governance is to provide confident, strategic leadership and to create robust accountability, oversight and assurance for educational and financial performance.
The Governing Board works closely with the Headteacher (who is also a governor) to ensure that the school’s resources are used to provide the children with the best possible education.
All governing boards, regardless of the category of school they govern, have 3 core functions, which have been defined by the Department for Education:
- “ Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction for their school.”
The Governing Board sets the direction of the school, deciding how it should best develop for the good of the pupils.
Briefly, this is done by:
- Agreeing priorities with the Headteacher, then setting objectives so that the priorities are addressed.
- Monitoring progress with priorities.
- Agreeing policies and regularly reviewing them to ensure that they remain fit for purpose so that education for all children is excellent and they are kept safe.
- Ensuring that staff are properly trained and kept up to date.
- “Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff”; and
The Head Teacher (and others) provide the Governing Board with regular reports and data on the school’s performance. The Headteacher also reports on what has been put in place to address any issues. The Governing Body asks questions (challenges) of the Headteacher in order to ensure that it fully understands what is being put in place, and the reasons why.
- “Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure that money is well spent.”
The Local Governing Board must ensure that the all financial resources are used to address the school’s education priorities. It must agree how the school’s budget will be spent, and monitor the agreed budget to ensure that spending is on track. It must ensure that processes are in place so that the school adheres to accounting requirements for schools.
Tower Hill Community Primary School's LGB meets 6 times a year. In addition, the Board has two sub commities which also meet regularly.
Reverend Jason Boyd – Co-opted Governor: Chair of the Governing Board: email@example.com, The Congregational Church, Welch Way, OX28 6JF
Mrs Viviane Boyd, Community Governor
Mrs Claire Evans, Parent Governor
Mr Justin Foley, Parent Governor: Vice Chair
Mr Sam Jones, Parent Governor
Mr Sergio Oreni, Parent Governor
Ms Laura Price, Community Governor
Mr Ulrik Street-Poulsen, Parent Governor: Vice Chair
Mr Paul Thomas: Head Teacher
Mrs Hannah White, Staff Govenor
Clerk to the Governing Board: Ms Marya Marriott
A copy of the RLTs scheme of delegationsfor schools can be found here
Minutes from Full Governing Body meetings are public documents and available for anyone to see. If you would like to see the minutes of any Full Governing Meetings please ask at the School Office.
A register of interests can be downloaded here .
Terms of Office, Comittee Membership and other responsibilities and attendance record can be found here